Random Rantings and Ravings from a Slow-Poke Runner in the Heart of the South. (A Weeekly (sort of) Blog about running and just about anything else)

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Confession: Good for the Soul.

And on the seventh day he rested.

Actually, he rested on the fifth and sixth day now that he's honest.

That "he" would be me. Yes, that's right: a measily 11 miles running this week.

I am not really sure what happened this week but this is my time to confess and "cleanse the soul".

I know part of my regression had to do with the boredom associated with the dreaded treadmill (dreadmill for short). I had announced to my wife that I was going to hit the streets this week but winter actually decided to show up this year and it dipped down into the low thirties again. (Remember I follow the "wuss rule" of no running below 40 degrees).

I felt that I was becoming burned out. I was starting to feel tired and my morning runs were a chore. In addition, I am sometimes guilty of being an "all-or-nothing" type person. After a big "splurge meal" Wednesday night with family and friends, and a party Friday, I just lost momentum partly because I had eaten so badly.

I hope I am not the only one that has weeks like this. But it helps to know I have read in the past that you need a few days off every now and then. I am just going to try to mentally chalk it up to my body's encouragement to take a break. At any rate, I have my gym bag packed and I will be headed out at 5:15 in the morning! Hopefully, in my next blog, I will be exclaiming my conquest of a successful week running!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Shane, my brother... everyone has weeks like that! AMEN!

As long as you don't turn them into "months" like that you will be fine. The rest will help your body heal and you will actually become stronger and faster. The poor eating (please ignore my Cadbury egg counter) however does not help ;-)

The rest also heals the mind as well. If nothing else, it makes you motivated to get back to it.

Oh, and you forgot a CAPITAL "W" on that Wuss rule.

I actually took off almost two weeks *gasp* this past late dec/early jan in the middle of marathon training... it was WELL worth it... I got my goal and ready to go!

5:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
/body>