Random Rantings and Ravings from a Slow-Poke Runner in the Heart of the South. (A Weeekly (sort of) Blog about running and just about anything else)

Monday, September 25, 2006

Nature Called (and I made a call)

It had not happened during all of my long runs until this past Saturday. Yes, nature called. And when it called, I was in the middle of a residential area -- nowhere near a public restroom. “Uh, excuse me mam. I know I am sweaty and stink, and you don’t know who I am, but I REALLY got to go so would you mind me dropping a load….” Naaah, that wouldn’t work. Thankfully, I had my cell phone packed in my camelbak and gave my wife a call. I squeezed out another mile (pun intended), and met her at the 8-mile mark a few minutes later. She did her best imitation of the Fast and the Furious and got me home before any “accidents” occurred.

The main culprit here is the Outback entrée from the night before, but I have to be honest with myself: Before calling her, I was really struggling. It was a lot hotter than I had anticipated. I had gotten used to running in the mid-50’s earlier in the week but a warm front meant temps 30 degrees higher. In addition, my running shoes are WAY past due for replacement. I have a pair of Brooks Axioms and I have never been satisfied with the cushioning. Well, what WAS there is broken down now after 440 miles. The problem is, there are NO specialty running stores within 80 miles of my house! I plan to go to Memphis this weekend but, until then, I have to “make do”.

So at mile 6 ½ and 7, I was struggling. My lower legs were really hurting and I don’t know if I could have kept going if I did not have to stop for the potty break. It concerns me because I have little time to make up the difference, but I am hoping that, with new shoes, and lower temps, I can do better at this weekend’s long run, probably on Sunday morning. In the mean time, I am not going to do anything very strenuous so I can avoid injury. Oh, and yeah, I will probably need to avoid any similar meals the night before a big run!

3 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

Stomach distress is never fun ... but it has happened to most of us at least once. Glad to hear that your wife was able to ride to the rescue.

As for shoes. Once you find a pair you like, buy two. Yes I know it's expensive, but by alternating shoes on your daily runs the shoes should last longer. Another alternative (once you find a pair that you like) is to order them on-line. Not as much fun as going to the speciality store, but it will save wear and tear on your car.

4:32 PM

 
Blogger Michele said...

I second Phil. Shoe rotation!

I just retired two of my four pairs of shoes and ordered a new pair.

I went to Fleet Feet, got fitted and bought the first two pairs of shoes and now I buy the same shoes on-line. We don't have anywhere near by to buy shoes either.

6:50 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

It is hard to do the run and squeeze technique... sometimes you don't make it...

If you find a model that you like, you can always try to shop online to find more and keep them in inventory.

7:04 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
/body>