Random Rantings and Ravings from a Slow-Poke Runner in the Heart of the South. (A Weeekly (sort of) Blog about running and just about anything else)

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Week 2: Check!

Week 2 of "the plan" is in the books and MAN was it a week! Honestly, this is probably the hardest I have trained in one week and I felt it in today's long run. Here's the numbers:

Total Miles: 24.5 miles

Avg. Pace: 8:56 min/mi

Long Run: 8.5 miles

Speed Work: Pace Intervals - 2 x (.50, .25, .15) at 7:53 pace

Hills: 3 X 2 min. at 4 % incline


I didn't feel I pushed that hard in Tuesday's hill session so I ran a 2-mile tempo run on Wednesday. I felt missing that rest day for the remainder of the week! Thursday's speed session was hard but I was able to quicken my pace a few seconds. This coming week will start "speed intervals" and I hope to rachet it up another notch!

I felt the miles in today's long run! I was able to hit my goal distance at an okay pace and used my Camelbak Alterra today to hydrate. I also used my injinji socks and I am blister free! (That's one in the picture to the side.) I have what feels like gas pains in my lower stomach. I don't know if it is just my "inners" getting used to all the pounding, my lack of discipline in doing stomach crunches, or maybe it's just both. Maybe one of you experienced runners could give me some feedback here.

Next week is my third week of "the plan", and I will do a little more hill work and will start speed intervals... but I plan to take that rest day! I hope everyone had a great week of running!

3 Comments:

Blogger Scott Dunlap said...

Nice work! Injinji's rock, don't they? I'm a big fan.

Not sure what to think of your stomach issues. I had a similar feeling, but then switched to "water only" for drinking and it went away.

BTW, I had an idea for Camelbak and would love your advice. Just check out this link.

Keep on running!

SD

10:46 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Great job on the past week. Hills, I like HiLlS!!!

As for your stomach problems, it could be gas, but is not due to a lack of stomach crunches. You would feel a stitch similar to what you feel when crapping, because that would be muscular. But now that I think about it, if you are not doing them consistently, then it could be residual soreness from doing them a while back and is now catching up with you.

usually "gas" is a result of something we ate sometime up to 8-12 hours before the run or during the run. Some people are prone to having stomach problem when running and they have to make sure that they don't get the runs when they run! The innerds do slosh around during the run and so it could be get the "Shake Well" aspect of what you have eaten and running. You might want to make a little log this week and see if you can spot something that may be triggering it.

When I carry a waist pack for water or something... I get "gas" and or expedited "releases" due to the inward pressure on the stomach that is not normally there. I had that this morning on my 16 mile run! So I don't run marathons anymore with things strapped around my waist... but that's me.

12:46 PM

 
Blogger Shane (mississip) said...

Although I described the pain as similar to gas pain, it was really too low for that. It could have been having my camelbak cinched really tight because I hate when it bounces; but I have noticed it before. It also feels muscular, like working out a muscle too hard. I'm not too worried about it because I feel like it is just my body getting accustomed the serious running. Thanks for the input though! Near the end of this last run, I kept thinking, "Am I really going to run three times this long one day?" =:-o

2:49 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
/body>