Random Rantings and Ravings from a Slow-Poke Runner in the Heart of the South. (A Weeekly (sort of) Blog about running and just about anything else)

Monday, February 20, 2006

THE PLAN

OK.

Here's the deal.

On April 1st, I will be running the Tupelo Heart Run 5K. That is... if they do have it. They say they are, but there has been no advertisement yet. (Last year's run, which Tricia ran was NOT the best organized run I have attended by far).

So now it't time for Race goals. The last race I ran was the Race for the Cure 5K back in October 2005. I ran it just under 28 minutes - barely - at 27:59. I am pretty confident I can take a minute off that time. My real goal is to come in under 26:30 (at least an 8:32 min/mi pace). Of course, what I REALLY want to do is break 26 minutes. That would mean a 8:22 min/mile pace, which would be a pretty good stretch for me!

I figured I needed a plan so I scoured the Runner's World website and settled on the "intermediate" version of their "Ultimate 5K Plan". I have revised the plan for my own schedule and have scanned it below. I started out today for a 3 miler. (See my training log) If you read the article, you will note I do some warm-up running before my speed and hill training and figure I will be running somewhere between 20 and 26 miles a week. I will be doing my pace intervals at an 8 min/mile pace, hoping to improve my times. Speed intervals will be a little faster. Check out my plan below and feel free to make comments!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That looks like a good plan and an attainable goal.

You might find that your friday runs will seem labored especially after Thursday's speed. you might want to switch that up to a cross training day, that way you are not totally dead on Saturday.

If your friend can pace you during the race, that would cut 30-45 sec off just because of that! I am anxious to see how the training comes along.

10:23 AM

 
Blogger Shane (mississip) said...

That's good advice. I will keep an eye on how I feel on Fridays and Saturdays and adjust my mileages according, doing more cross-training on Friday if I am spent.

7:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
/body>