Random Rantings and Ravings from a Slow-Poke Runner in the Heart of the South. (A Weeekly (sort of) Blog about running and just about anything else)

Sunday, December 18, 2005

On to Bigger things? (muscles I mean)

Well this week started a new slant on my weekly workouts. I have a new workout partner who joined me in the mornings and we sort of balance each other out with our strenghts. He is a former college athlete (sprinter and running back) with a history that emphasized weight training. He is currently in his second year of medical residency. He is a big dude with a lot of strength left, despite his lack of workouts the last few years.

On the other hand, I have been empasizing cardio workouts - namely running. I have worked up to about 20 miles a week, although I have slipped the last 2 weeks. I will be kicking his butt in the running department while he will have no trouble kicking mine when it comes to weight lifting.

He has changed up how we will be lifting on the days we weight train. Mondays and fridays will be upper body workouts and Wednesdays will be leg days. On Wednesday of last week, he killed my legs with some heavy duty workouts designed to increase strength and mass. It really affected my running for a few days but I think it will help in the long run to increase my leg strength. He assures me I will get used to the workouts so I hope so.

While I still want to stick to my running goals, I think the increased emphasis on weight training will improve my overall health. But for now I need to kick it in gear with the running. My miles have slipped with my son's illness last week and the soreness I dealt with this week. I will be taking some runs off while traveling the week after Christmas so I need to really kick it in gear this next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
/body>