Random Rantings and Ravings from a Slow-Poke Runner in the Heart of the South. (A Weeekly (sort of) Blog about running and just about anything else)

Monday, December 18, 2006

Starting up Again!

It is getting closer and closer to Christmas, which means that the end of the year is almost here! It has been just over two weeks since the marathon and I ran for the first time this weekend. On Saturday, exactly two weeks after the marathon, I went for a 3-mile trail run near my home. I kept a slow, but steady 9:40 pace and enjoyed every minute of it. My left ankle began hurting pretty much immediately after I started. It was a sharp pain, not just the dull ache associated with soreness. I have been babying it for two weeks now so I just ignored it and it went away after about 5 minutes. It was a little sore afterwards but no more than normal. I am beginning to think that I NEED to run more on it, but just be careful about pushing the mileage up.

On a sad note, I think my ipod is on its death bed. It has been intermittent at best and did not work on the trail run. It is frustrating to strap it on my arm and then it be pretty much useless. I am starting to try and figure out how I can put my mini to rest and save for a new nano. We have already purchased my Christmas present – a new bike trainer for my road bike – so I will have to figure out something else. Of course, trail running is serene enough that I can do without music so I may just stick to the dirt track.

I also biked out on the road for an hour on Sunday. I was with a friend so I did not worry as much about traffic but that is going to be a real concern. People around here don’t know how to be respectful of bikers and I know that it would probably hurt to be hit by a car! But I am already eyeing my first sprint tri in March so I need to build up my cycling endurance. I didn’t push it hard but I only managed an average of 15 mph on the rolling country roads Sunday. I need to push it up to feel comfortable enough to complete a triathlon.

Swimming is another story in itself. I can’t remember the last time I swam so I know I have a rude awakening coming! Plus, I am not all that thrilled about showing off my gut to get in the gym’s pool. I don’t yet have a tri swimming suit so I am going to aim for beginning in the new year when I should at least have some goggles.

Christmas is now just a week away! I hope all of you have most of your shopping done!

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Feels good to be back out on the road huh?

What's your price range for the Nano... the reason that I ask is that I have a number of sites that I constantly check for sales, discounts, etc and would let you know when something good comes around for the Nano... just a thought, it's a service that I provide...

Don't sweat the bathing suit while your are training. You'll want something form fitting on race day, but don't NOT swim because you don't have a suit. I'll let you know a secret... my "race day" suit is one of those tan-thru swimsuits... it's not hi-tech at all... but it gets the job done. Goggles on the other hand... you must get them right now!

12:37 PM

 
Blogger Phil said...

You could also think about running without the MP3 player. Part of the beauty of running is the solitude. You have a chance to get lost in your own thoughts without the constant bombardment of media. Try it ... you might like it.

11:33 PM

 
Blogger Phil said...

Shane ... how are you doing ... I assume you've fully recovered from your Marathon and hope your ankle is fully healed. Let us know how the running is doing.

6:53 AM

 
Blogger Phil said...

Hello ... it's the end of January. Where are you? You're blogging friends are worried.

8:27 PM

 
Blogger Faithful Soles said...

So how has the training and racing been going since December? If you get a chance, please visit my running web site, Faithful Soles. I have a categorized and searchable Running Blog Database on there and would appreciate it if you would link your blog to it.

7:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
/body>