Random Rantings and Ravings from a Slow-Poke Runner in the Heart of the South. (A Weeekly (sort of) Blog about running and just about anything else)

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Just about 10 miles to go for a marathon!

Week Total: 35 miles

Long run -- 16 miles

I just finished week 3 of my 11-week marathon training plan and completed the longest run of my life by going 16 miles.

I had planned to go only 15. I completed 12 last week so I mapped out a side route the night before that would add an additional 3 miles. But I forgot I had knocked off a mile the previous week because of a big dog and did not realize until a few miles into the run that I actually mapped out a 16 mile run. I decided I was going to go for it as long as I was feeling okay.

The weather cooperated with a sunny day and temps in the mid to high 40's during most of the run. I felt really good and kept a relaxed pace throughout. I didn't take in any water until about 5 miles and didn't feel I really needed the powergel I finally consumed at mile 8. I never hurt at any point in the run and finished fairly strong at the end!

I have an 18 mile run this Saturday and then begin alternating 20-milers with a half-marathon distance the following weekends. My ankle and bottom of my left foot is still a bit sore but I have started doing something that seems to help. Instead of just icing, I have taken several hot baths for about 15 minutes and then ice it afterwards. It seems to be getting better faster than it normally does.

I have a busy week next week and may have to move some of the runs around a bit. More on that later -- I hope everyone had a great weekend!

3 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

I continue to be amazed at the progress you're making Shane. It took me years to get up to 16 miles, you've managed it a much shorter time. You certainly are doing great sticking with your program. I hope this week goes as well for you as you work your way up to 18 miles.

11:12 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome job.

6:24 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Good work Shane... you'll get the runs that you need. Never underestimate a rest day!

1:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
/body>