Random Rantings and Ravings from a Slow-Poke Runner in the Heart of the South. (A Weeekly (sort of) Blog about running and just about anything else)

Monday, October 16, 2006

18 miles: check!

Total miles this week: 33.6 (4 times)

Cycling: 50 minutes (Sunday)

Long run: 18.1 miles (10:19 pace)

Another long run in the books!

My wife was out of town this weekend "with the girls" so the kids and I went down to my parents and spent the night so they could watch them for my long run Saturday morning. I showed them my route the night before by driving it in the car after we had eaten out.

My mom is a chronic worrier and she was on me the entire time about how I should not be running that far. She elicited the name of Dr. Donohue, a weekly columnist in the paper who often advices his readers not to overdo it. I am serious when I say that she attempted to talk me out of the run the entire drive. In her mind, my running is only about weight loss and she insists I would do fine by running only 2 miles every day.

I didn't listen to my mom and headed out just before 7 am on Saturday morning. It was cold - in the mid 40's and I had to wear an Adidas running pull-over to keep warm. I felt pretty strong as I started. I had only run 3 times the week before. My wife encouraged me to take off Friday to give myself some rest before the long run and I think it helped. The 18 miles didn't seem any longer than the 16 last Saturday. My lower legs were hurting those last few miles but, otherwise, I felt strong.

I iced a lot Saturday and I feel like I am recovering well. I biked 50 minutes Sunday and the new muscles I am using are a bit sore but I have no muscles soreness from the run! The ligaments in my ankles are a little sore but my PF doesn't seem to be a problem at all.

It is now Monday morning. It was easy to talk myself out of running this morning. When I woke up at 5 am it was cold, windy, and pouring down rain. I told myself that I DID cross train yesterday and turned back over. At any rate, I think the extra day of rest will help me recover from the long run and I will just tack on a couple extra miles on Tuesday's and Thursday's run. This weekend it is back down to only a half marathon distance before kicking it back up to 20 miles in two weeks!

3 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

Congratulations on the 18.1 miles. Your mom, unfortunately, doesn't have a clue why you run. You've crossed the line between "running to lose weight" to "losing weight to improve your running". No one who is simply trying to lose a few pounds looks forward to running 18 miles (or 18.1 miles) non stop. She also doesn't understand the people were born to run, it comes natural to us. You've now discovered that you can keep going for incrediable distances with little adverse effects. You are in fact (to quote your mom), "... taking it easy." The only difference is that you've paced yourself over the past several months and slowly built up your strength to be able to accomplish this goal.

This is a great accomplishment. You should take at least one full rest day after running that far for the first time.

Amazing Shane .. you are doing great.

4:17 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dad has told me stories of people who have "died while running". He is always telling me I shouldn't be running so far, that it can't be good for me.
I just nod and keep on training. I know he reads my blog and it drives him crazy to see the training I am doing but...

Congrats on the long run, awesome job.

6:29 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the big 18! You've covered more ground than I did before I did the '03 St. Jude Marathon. Stick with your training plan and you should do fine
We've all had people in our lives that just "don't get it" when it comes to running. Don't let it mess with your head. My wife just doesn't "get it" eather...If a person hasn't done the distance, they just don't seem to understand. (They don't know what they're missing.)
Keep up the good work!

11:50 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
/body>