Random Rantings and Ravings from a Slow-Poke Runner in the Heart of the South. (A Weeekly (sort of) Blog about running and just about anything else)

Saturday, April 29, 2006

SETBACK

This week marked the first real setback I have experienced since blogging about my running. I occasionally have to deal with sore muscles and "catches" here and there. I am, after all, still a bit heavy for a runner. So I can't really say exactly when my left calf began to give me problems this week but I assume it was after my Monday workout, which consisted of a 6.3 mile run with about 9 minutes of hill running.

I remember feeling tight the next morning but it did not go away. It has gotten nothing but worse throughout the week so I skipped Friday's run, hoping the TWO-day rest would solve things. I tried ibuprofuin, stretching, icing, hot baths, icing and hot baths; but nothing seemed to help.

So when I woke up this morning and felt the all too familiar pain, I knew I didn't need to do my long run. That's right. With two skipped runs this week, my mileage totals only 14.5 miles.

Only 14.5 miles with the 10k coming up in TWO WEEKS!!!

So I am a bit worried. The pain is a little different that just soreness. It feels like I injured it somehow. When I walk on it, I occasionally feel pain shoot further down my leg, sometimes into the bottom of my foot.

My wife tried messaging it and she and I could both feel knots down the outside-middle of the calf. She tried to message them out but it was VERY painful! It helped for a few minutes but it went back to normal after a while.

So I will give it a go Monday regardless. I will have to say it is a bit better today and maybe it IS something I just need to run through. With the 10K in only 2 weeks, I don't have much of a choice! :-(

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, i just randomly clicked on to your blog through complete runner or some such thing. I run trails in NY near Harrimon Park. Lots. Rough and rocky. Also do some road work as i plan to run a few 5ks and 10ks this season . . . keeps you honest.

Mostly, though, trail, which i love. Training for some longer distance runs as well.

Anyway, about that calf. Don't sweat it too much. Calves can be tricky but tend to heal quickly, unless you tore something. Do some gentle stretching where entend your legs out and you pull your toes fdown and orward toward you. This stretches your heel and calf, and you can do this while hanging loose in bed. As a matter of fact, this is a great stretch to do first thing in the morning when you wake to keep from hobbling around. It stretches out your heel and foot and calf.

Lots of gentle stretching will help condition your muscles. Also, work through the calf pain. You'll recover. Stretch on those down days.

good luck

david

6:23 PM

 
Blogger Shane (mississip) said...

Thanks for checking out my blog! Thanks for the suggestions - I have done a little stretching but probably not nearly enough. Hopefully its just a minor glitch that will just make this first 10K more memorable!

Shane

7:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
/body>