Random Rantings and Ravings from a Slow-Poke Runner in the Heart of the South. (A Weeekly (sort of) Blog about running and just about anything else)

Monday, March 20, 2006

Week 4: COMPLETE

I tried doing this blog entry over the weekend. I had it all typed up and tried to insert a picture when something REALLLLY bad must have happened and I lost the entire entry! Needless to say, I didn't feel like typing it all up again, thus the delay.

Overall I had a GREAT week of running last week and I am really proud of a few of the runs in particular. Here are the numbers:

Total Miles: 26.04 miles

Avg. Pace: 9:00 min/mi

Long Run: 11.04 miles (9:34 pace) WOO HOO!

Speed Work: Pace and Speed Intervals
1/2 mile warm-up (8:56 pace)
1/2 mile PI (8:00) 1/4 break (8:56)
1/2 mile PI (8:00) 1/4 break (8:56)
1/2 mile SI (7:53) 1/4 break (8:56)
1/4 mile SI (7:46) 1/4 break (8:56)
1/4 mile SI (7:46) 1/4 break (8:56)
1/8 mile SI (7:40) 1/8 break (8:56)
1/8 mile SI (7:30)
Finished off 4 1/2 miles at 8:56 pace

Hills: skipped! (4-miler instead)


Early in the week last week, I completed a 3 mile tempo run to get an estimate of where I am in my training. I completed the run on a treadmill, but I ran it in 24:56 - first time under 25 minutes in a loooooooooooooong while! I'm going to have to really kick it up on race day if I want to break 26 minutes. But I probably shouldn't have done the tempo run Monday, because I was really sore Tuesday and had to skip my hard hill workout, doing an easy 4-miler instead.

I rebounded strongly on Thursday with a good interval workout, going as fast as a 7:30 pace. I was able to manage a 9:00 pace in between intervals, which helped my overall time for the 4 1/2 mile run (37:46 total - 8:23 pace).

I was excited about my long run Saturday. It was another attempt to go further than this body has ever gone before! I actually felt really good during the 11 mile run, running it at a 9:34 pace which, for me, is just plain cool! I became a little fatigued at around mile 7 or 8 and took a chocolate caffeinated Power Gel. It went down a whole lot better than the jelly beans last week and I felt a good rush of energy about a mile later.

I almost had the CRAP scared out of me with just a few miles to go! It was a section that I have to run WITH traffic as there is no shoulder on the other side of the road. A dump truck came barreling close to me and sent me skirting to the deep grass! It probably wasn't THAT close but it was loud enough to seem like it was going to steam roll me like a cartoon animal.

With a mile left in the run, two old ladies slowed down and tried to ask me for directions. Trying to avoid another stoppage like last week, I just smiled as wide as possible and kept on going! I felt soooo bad to turn down a sweet old lady that looked like Aunt Bee and hope she and her friend didn't get too awful lost! But I was flirting with a 9 1/2 minute pace!!! :-) Believe it or not, I actually thought about adding on another 2 miles to call it a half marathon. The fear of possible injury and the desire to keep my strong pace kept me to my plan.

I actually joined the polar bear club soon after my run! I have read in the past that some marathoners soak in ice baths after their race to limit soreness and thought I would give it a try. After a few minutes of stretching I ran an ice cold bath and sat in it for 20 minutes. I was a little worried about the...well...you GUYS know what I'm talking about! But after I got used to it, it was actually refreshing! I can't say it helped a WHOLE lot with soreness but I think I noticed a difference.

There is only two weeks left to the first race of the year: The Trail and Treads 5K Run. I will reduce my mileage a little this week and focus more on speed before tapering the following week. I hope everyone had a great week of running!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Great job in the 11 mile run, you were probably correct in not going that extra 2 miles.

You like the chocolate Power Gel... I LOVE chocolate but I do not like Chocolat Power Gel or Chocolate Bubble Gum. I do not like them here or there, I do not like them anywhere!

very good week! Keep it up!

5:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
/body>