Random Rantings and Ravings from a Slow-Poke Runner in the Heart of the South. (A Weeekly (sort of) Blog about running and just about anything else)

Thursday, July 27, 2006

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I did the unthinkable today. I overslept and missed my run!

I’m not using it as an excuse but I played racquetball after work yesterday for an hour and a half so I was pretty tired when I went to bed. This morning I woke up after the third snooze and went into the living room. Maybe you have been there. You are half awake and still REALLY tired. The couch had a throw blanket lying on it from the night before and looked SOOO inviting! The thought crept into my clouded mind, “I’ll just lie down for JUST a few minutes to relax and wake up slowly.” And once lying down comfortably under the blanket, “I’ll close my eyes for JUST a second. ………zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.”

Then I was gone into dreamland. I woke up an hour later – time enough to get ready for work but no time to run. I had missed not only a run, but also one of my important tempo runs. As I got ready this morning, I became more and more angry with myself. Today is my “late day” because I teach two anger management classes at the local family resource center after work. (Sure, start dispensing the Jack Nicholson jokes now.) I don’t get home until after 8 and I am too wasted to think about running.

I packed my workout bag and running clothes and brought them to work with me but I am not sure why. I am way too busy to get in a run at lunch. I will just have to reschedule things I guess. Therefore, I will do my 5.5 mile tempo run tomorrow, 3 mile easy run Saturday morning and the 13.5 long run early Sunday morning. I don’t really like running on Sundays but I have found I don’t have to deal with traffic as much that early in the morning. Another drawback is I won’t have an off day after the long run. To get back on track, I will have another easy run Monday, intervals on Tuesday, and THEN the off day on Wednesday.
This running stuff definitely helps you become more disciplined. It gets downright frustrating to miss a run because you were lazy!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I did the unthinkable today. I overslept and missed my run!

Been there... many, many times. This also happens on your important long runs too!

1:12 PM

 
Blogger Phil said...

Shane .. it happens to all of us. I love a great long run on Sunday morning. I start of when it's still dark and I'm back home before most of the planet is out of bed.

Good luck on your tempo run. Looking forward to reading how you do.

11:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
/body>